Colorectal Cancer Treatment in Pune- Dr. Samrat Jankar
Colorectal Surgeon in Pune
Colorectal cancer, often known as rectal cancer, is one of the most prevalent cancers worldwide. In India, the number of cases is increasing.
It is one of the rare cancers that can be treated and survived for a long time, even if detected at an advanced stage. As a result, it is critical for all individuals with this disease to comprehend the many facets of the disease.
Dr. Samrat Jankar is one of the best gastroenterologists in Pune and a colorectal surgeon who offers a range of treatment options for all types of surgeries related to Colorectal Cancer Treatment. Dr. Samrat specializes in diagnosing and treating colon and rectal diseases.
He is also very well known for his high success rate in colorectal laparoscopic surgery in Pune. Colon and rectal diseases contain a broad range of conditions and problems ranging from exasperating to life-threatening.
Different types of colorectal surgeries
1 . Laparoscopic hemicolectomy:
This surgery is generally done to treat bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease, severe diverticulitis, or colorectal cancer. In this procedure, Dr. Samrat Jankar, a surgical gastroenterologist in Pune, will remove the damaged or diseased section of the intestine and re-join the healthy parts.
During Laparoscopic hemicolectomy, the surgeon will operate through several small cuts made in the abdomen. It is also called keyhole surgery. As this is a major operation, you will need around 1-2 weeks to recover. Depending on your overall condition, you may require about 3-7 days’ stay at the hospital.
- Laparoscopic anterior resection:
This surgery is done to remove your diseased rectum (the last part of the large bowel). The surgeon will operate through small incisions to remove the diseased area of your bowel and rectum.
If necessary, a temporary stoma is made to divert the stools from the surgical site until it heals. You may have to stay around 4 to 8 days in the hospital, depending on your health. However, the hospital stay may get prolonged. It will take more than 4 to 6 weeks to recover from surgery.
- Laparoscopic rectopexy:
You may have to undergo this procedure if you suffer from rectal prolapse. It is a condition wherein your rectum slides out of your anus. Laparoscopic rectopexy surgery can be done either through an abdominal incision or laparoscopically.
The expert colorectal surgeon in Pune, Dr. Samrat Jankar, will operate to put the rectum back in place and improve its functions. Your hospital stay will depend on your condition and the type of procedure you underwent. You will go home once you regain your bowel function. You will return to your normal activities within 4 to 6 weeks.
- Laparoscopic diverticulitis surgery:
Diverticulitis is a condition when the small pouches in the large intestine become inflamed. Generally, Diverticulitis is treated with medication and diet changes, but if the treatment fails and the condition causes severe pain and other symptoms, the doctor may recommend surgery.
Laparoscopic diverticulitis surgery is done through small cuts as opposed to open surgery, where the surgeon has to make a big incision about 6 to 8 inches long. After the laparoscopic surgery in Pune, you may have to stay around 2 to 7 days in the hospital. Usually, most people return to their daily activities within two weeks.
- Laparoscopic stoma creation and revision:
Stoma is an opening that is created for fecal diversion. It may be temporary or permanent. A temporary one is made when a section of diseased bowel is removed, and it needs time to heal, whereas permanent stoma creation is needed if the anus and rectum have been removed.
In Laparoscopic stoma creation, the surgeon can perform the surgery through tiny incisions. You will be discharged 3 to 4 days after your laparoscopic surgery in Pune. For complete recovery, you will need around 4 weeks.
When do you need colorectal surgery?
If rectal cancer has spread and formed just one or a few tumors in the lungs or liver (and nowhere else), surgery might be used to remove it. In most cases, this is only done if cancer in the rectum is also being removed.
Dr. Samrat Jankar, an expert colorectal surgeon in Pune, may recommend surgery if you are suffering from any of these diseases:
Proctological disorders: piles, fissures, and fistula
Symptoms of Colorectal disorders
Colon Cancer may show up with the following early symptoms. If you’re experiencing the below symptoms, make an appointment with Dr. Samrat Jankar, an expert Colorectal surgeon in Pune.
- Discomfort or pain in your abdomen
- Gas and abdominal bloating
If you observe blood in your stool, contact your doctor immediately. Other signs of a potentially critical condition include fever and sudden weight loss.
Causes of Colorectal disorders
- Environmental factors, such as diet
- Microbial and immunologic factors
- Family history of Crohn’s disease
Diagnosis of Colorectal Disorders
Nearly all colorectal cancers begin as polyps, benign growths in the colon, and the rectum’s tissue lining. Cancer occurs when these polyps grow and abnormal cells expand, invading the surrounding tissue. Removal of polyps can stop the spread of colorectal cancer.
It is possible to remove most non-cancerous polyps painlessly using a colonoscope, a lighted, flexible tube. Dr. Samrat Jankar, a surgical gastroenterologist in Pune, is well-versed in this modality.
Colorectal cancer can grow throughout the body if not detected in the initial stage. Most early forms of colorectal cancer don’t show symptoms, which makes screening particularly important.
When symptoms do occur, cancer might already be quite advanced. More advanced cancer needs more complex surgical techniques.
Hence, Dr. Samrat Jankar, an expert colorectal surgeon in Pune, recommends early screening methods for Colorectal Cancer, as it can help cure it in the initial stages.
- Blood tests
- Diagnosis of Stool
- Rome criteria: The Rome process and Rome criteria are an international effort to create scientific data to help diagnose and treat functional gastrointestinal disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome, functional dyspepsia, and rumination syndrome.
- Computed Tomography (CT) scans
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Biopsy of the small intestine
Types of Colorectal diseases
- Functional Colorectal Diseases Functional disorders are those in which the GI tract looks normal but works poorly. These are the most common problems affecting the GI tract, including the colon and rectum.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a disease in which the colon muscle contracts more often than in people without IBS. Specific foods, medications, and stress are some factors that can trigger IBS.
- Structural Colorectal Disorders Structural disorders are conditions in which the bowel appears abnormal and works incorrectly. If the condition worsens, Dr. Samrat Jankar, a proficient surgical gastroenterologist in Pune, can remove the abnormality surgically.
- Hemorrhoids Hemorrhoids are inflamed and enlarged blood vessels in the lining of the anal opening. Chronic excess pressure from stretching during a bowel movement, persistent diarrhea, or pregnancy may cause hemorrhoids.
- Anal fissures are cracks or gaps in the lining of the anal opening. The common cause of an anal fissure is the passage of very hard or watery stools. It is a painful condition as the exposed muscles get irritated on exposure to stool or air, causing intense burning pain, bleeding, or spasm after bowel movements.
- Diverticular disease Diverticulosis is the formation of small outpouchings (diverticula) in the muscular wall of the large intestine. They usually appear in the sigmoid colon, the high-pressure region of the lower large intestine.
- Colon polyps and cancer A colon polyp is a small cluster or mass of cells formed on the lining of the colon. Most colon polyps are naïve, but some can develop into fatal colon cancer. They are of two types, non-neoplastic and neoplastic.
If you experience any of the discussed symptoms, be sure to plan a consultation with Dr. Samrat Jankar, one of the best gastroenterologists in Pune.
- Samrat Jankar: Colorectal Cancer Treatment
- Dr. Samrat Jankar is considered one of the best gastroenterologists in Pune. He specializes in treating all colorectal diseases and has an excellent track record.
- He is well-versed in open and minimally invasive surgeries including, laparoscopic and robotic surgeries.
- He has successfully managed and treated thousands of complex cases in his illustrious career. His peers and patients highly respect him for his exceptional surgical skills and knowledge.
- Dr. Samrat Jankar believes in providing customized treatment to each patient. He patiently listens to their issues and makes it a point to help them understand the different treatment options to make an informed decision.